Saturday, March 12, 2011

I've never been so...

It's Friday night, at 11PM and I'm sitting in my apartment living room half watching The Wire and half watching the news about Japan. I wish I was out right now instead, though. Blah. Maybe tomorrow night.

So, Melissa left her Australian adventures two days ago and although there were a lot of times when I wanted to rip her fucking face off, I genuinely had a good time and I'm glad she got home to Toronto safely today.

I started training at work this past Monday. It's been pretty good so far, really dry and boring at times to the point of nearly falling asleep, but I've met some pretty cool people and it seems (hopefully) like a fun laid back place to work. My recruiter, Dan, was an English backpacker but was sponsored to stay over, so we'll see what happens with me. I'm sure he was amazing at the job, and I doubt I'll be anywhere near caring too much about the job and making sales - though it does seem relatively easy...or easier than I thought it'd be.

In terms of the Japan 8.9 magnitude earthquake, 7.4 magnitude aftershock and the resulting tsunami... I hope my roommates,  David, family is alright. He still hasn't been able to get in touch with them about 7 hours after the quake and tsunami hit. Seriously hope they're alright. I hope all of Japan is alright, and I hope that everyone in the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, Hawaii, the west coast of the US, etc. will be alright. Be safe!

According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, there is no Tsunami threat to Australia, and New Zealand after having had tsunami warnings has been downgraded to a marine threat. The below image shows proof of the no Tsunami threat.



I don't really understand how NZ could have warnings, but AU wouldn't... Either way, I'm glad that both have been cleared, for now, since neither can really afford to go through another giant catastrophe after having being rocked by an earthquake three weeks ago in Christchurch, NZ, battered by record cyclone Yasi in Far North Queensland, floods in Brisbane and surrounding areas, and just recently landslides in FNQ, again.

I'm alright, and I hope everyone else is alright! Seriously.



Wow, my father an astronaut! I've never been so... what's the opposite of shame?
Proud?
Not that far from shame.
Less shame?
Yeahhhh.


Aussie Word of the Day: "Gobby". I definitely thought this was short for the  candy "Gobstoppers", but it definitely isn't. I'll leave you to find out what it actually means, if you're so curious to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment