Because Lenny is an asshole, I have decided to update my blog with just Australian terms. Also, because I'm at every day 9-5 and have nothing exciting to share...yet. Here we go:
Technicolour Yawn. "Dude, I got so wasted last night that I had to technicolour yawn all over this guys back porch." A technicolour yawn is to throw up.
Chunder. Same deal as above, except I have a story to go with chunder. In the 1800's when people would be sailing to Australia, the boats would be of two tiers, and due to the seasickness people would experience they usually would throw up over the boats railing. Now, because it was a two tier boat, the people on the top deck who would get sick would yell out "Watch under!" and spew everywhere onto the lower deck. But because of the ocean people would simply hear " 'ch under" instead of "watch under", and thus chunder came about.
Unco. "You are so unco, it's not even funny." Unco is to be uncoordinated.
Punch on. Australians for some reason say "I got into a punch on Tuesday night when I was wasted" instead of "I got into a fight Tuesday night when I was wasted".
Similarly, a biff is a brawl.
Straya. Straya is an attempt to express the pronunciation of the word "Australia". I'm not even kidding, but this is how Aussie's pronounce their country's name. Straya, fuck yeah.
Sook. A timid, cowardly person, especially a young person; a crybaby. "Quit being such a fucking sook, you wanker". Pretty sure I was called that, hahahaha.
Cracked the shits. To get really pissed off, or angry. "There have been so many times when I've been close to cracking the shits, but I just kept trudging through. Don't crack it, and you'll be right."
For some reason a Bluey is a nickname for a redhead, or a ranga.
Come a guster. To make a bad mistake, or have an accident. Yeah... I don't get it either.
Doona, a duvet.
Suss. "Yeah dude, I'll have to suss that out. It sounds awesome." My buddy Will Maxwell from Melbourne always says "suss", and it means to figure something out or work something out.
Onya. As in, "Good on ya"
You're right. Whenever you bump into or get in someone's way on the train/tram/where ever, and you apologize for it, they usually respond with "You're right" which essentially is "No worries" or "It's okay".
Finally, the other night I heard the expression, "To hang shit on your nose" or something to that affect, but I have no clue what it means. I even asked people and they told me I made that shit up, but I was watching TV (Good News Week, to be exact) and a British comedian said that he had just learned that expression that day, and how much he loves the Australian language.
No comments:
Post a Comment