A brief rundown.
My last night in Melbourne was a pretty good day, I met up with Will and his friends in Sunbury and they took me around to places. They showed me an old mental asylum where they would preform electro-theropy on patients, and when they'd die, they would just throw them in the hole where they were building a concrete fence over top of them. That asylum is now a primary school. Eerie. They also showed me where the first cricket match ever was played (in the small town of Sunbury, weird), and where the "Ashes" match began. Pretty rad, even if you don't like cricket.
When I got back to Brunswick, I finished packing, ended up calling some friends that I hadn't had the chance to see, said my goodbyes and told them that WHEN I find a job in Brisbane, I'll save up enough for a flight back into Melbourne to see them one last time for a week before I head back to Toronto. Which I would really like to do, so hopefully I can make this happen. In the process of calling friends and saying my goodbyes, I managed to avoid saying my goodbyes to my two roommates of three months..."accidentally". I seriously couldn't be bothered, and didn't fucking care at all. Completely rude on my part, and I feel completely rude for not thanking them in person for letting me live there, but to be completely honest with you, they weren't the best roommates. I felt completely unwelcome living there for three months, and felt like the maid. They'd let you know different, and tell you that I was a total recluse and hung out in my room constantly to avoid them (truth, because of the above) and that I didn't clean anything ever and never took initiative to do so, which is complete bullshit - they're just as messy as the combination of explosive diarrhoea and a fan. I know this seems like I'm bad mouthing them because I didn't have the balls to in person, which isn't the case at all. I just never told them these things to their face because I didn't want to get involved in an argument with two people I couldn't care less about and that I hope I never see or communicate with again. Stoked that I never will, I'm sure the feeling's mutual but I'm completely okay with it.
Sydney
The pictures will definitely do this post justice, I'll post them soon. The textual recap will be pretty lame.
I met my sister the following morning in Sydney. She met a couple from London, ON on the plane named Steve and Ashlyn. They're off in Melbourne now teaching part time and traveling part time. Awesome people, I wish they had moved down to Melbourne three months earlier because they're seriously hilarious. They in turn introduced us to a slew of other people, namely a guy from Seattle, WA named Scott (or Clif, because he only eats Clif Bars) who is currently sitting across the table from me and is going to school at the University of Sydney. I actually haven't spoken to any Sydneysiders while in Sydney, and have only spoken to people from Ontario (Ottawa and London), the US (Washington, California, and Oregon), France, and the Netherlands.
Anyway, the first day we landed, Melissa and I managed to walk around the city and saw the Opera House (not that fantastic, what a let down...), the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and a bunch of other attractions like the New South Wales State Library, the Centre of Contemporary Arts, the (outside) Royal Botanical Gardens, etc. The following day, we were to meet Steve and Ash at Bondi Beach, but by the time we got to their hostel in Kings Cross, we had managed to miss them by 15 minutes or so. When we got to Bondi, we ate lunch at Moo Burger which is hands down the greatest burger in the world. Hands. Down. Way better than Fulton Burger. Even the Mango Smoothie was fucking amazing. It's seriously the best thing about Sydney, no joke. So sad that they're only in the Sydney area. Bondi was pretty nice for a small beach. Huge tourist attraction and surf spot. We didn't end up finding Steve and Ash (and Scott, who we didn't know at the time) so we just hung out on the beach the whole time. The following day we met up with the above mentioned, all three, and hit up the New South Wales Maritime Museum, read up on sharks and shark attacks (more people in the US are killed by toilets, kites and chairs than there are shark attacks. Really, America?), walked about the town, and ate at a pub. Pretty good day overall.
The following day we met up with all three again, plus a German guy named Michael from our hostel, and hit up the Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach walk. It's a three hour coast walk between the two beaches, and although it was such a bad windy/rainy day it was really nice and pretty fun. Again, pictures would do this more justice so I won't bother trying to explain it.
The following day, we all decided to head out to the Blue Mountains on the most incredibly prime day with another Canadian (Ottawa) named Monica, and an American (Washington) named Chet. Just scenic views of pure mountains and amazingness. So pristine and such great views. Great warm day. More on this later.
Yesterday, we (Melissa, Steve, Ash, and I) took the ferry over to Manly Beach. Great views of the city, even though it was overcast all day. This is such an uninformative update, but we just pretty much hung out, went for a swim, grabbed some ice cream, then headed back to the city so that Ash and Steve could catch their train to Melbourne. Oh, and I bought some board shorts from the kids section. Winner...
Tomorrow arvo, Melissa and I are flying out to Brisbane where I will be living until May, and possibly hopefully longer.
Updates soon.
Aussie Word of the Day: "Digger". A digger is a soldier.
No comments:
Post a Comment