HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It's 11am EST, so you've still got just over 12 hours as I write this at 3am AEST.
I think today is the hottest day I have ever experienced. Ever. Because not only was it 42 degrees, but there were the hottest and driest winds blowing through all day that just made it so much more unbearably hot.
My Christmas was pretty...interesting to say the least. Nothing really happened. I sat in my room and relaxed by watching movies and the Simpsons all day. Randy sat in his room and watched movies all day. Barely a word was spoken between us, but whatever it's all good. I got a Christmas card from my family, and blew about $350 on clothing (including a new belt and wallet since Australian coins are too thick and are ruining my current one) and other things for myself. Greedy as shit, no fucks given.
Boxing Day I went out to my Chilean friend, Francisco, from works birthday down by the Royal Botanical Gardens for a small BBQ which was really nice. Hung out with him, his friends and his girlfriend, her family, and then a few people from work. Had some food, shared some laughs. It was a good time.
At around 7 I headed into the city to watch a movie by myself, which was a really, really odd feeling. I mean, I do it all the time at home, but to go out to a theatre to watch something was just so much different which is pretty stupid because what's the point in watching a movie with someone else? You don't interact during the movie or anything. I guess it's just a comfort thing, to not feel lonely. Feeling uncomfortable or weird or whatever didn't matter to me at all though because I was on a fucking mission to watch Blue Valentine, and holy shit was it ever good. The walk from the theatre back to the tram stop after the movie though was single handedly the most depressing moments of my life, seeing all these happy people and couples enjoying the night together. Great movie though, go watch it. Avoid it if you're feeling lonely, or if you're on the brink of suicide, hah.
Today, for New Years, I didn't have any sort of solid plan. What I was originally going to do was head down to either a backpackers bar on Elizabeth Street - I believe it's called Bar Open, which is always filled with tourists (I'd assume) at all hours of the day - or down to Federation Square for a live reggae concert type thing, and then to watch fireworks from the rooftops. I'm sure I would have met some rad people at either one of those places, some long term and short term friends I'm sure. I didn't end up doing either of those things, and instead ended up going out to Sunshine/Deer Park where I was invited out to Nelson's girlfriend's (Dianne) place for a party/BBQ, and from there we went out to her friend Ashley's place for a party. There weren't many people there, but they all seemed really, really nice, and enjoyed my "accent" which was cool. I met a guy named Will who seems to be into relatively the same music as me, so I'm pretty sure I found myself an Aussie show buddy which is awesome, since I don't know anyone who likes anything I like in terms of music. His brother sings in a pop punk band, the name of which escapes me, but reminds me a lot of New Found Glory. The party was kind of short lived for Nelson, Dianne, and I after a glow stick accident that shot fluid into Dianne's eye and apparently, you're not supposed to get that in your eye. Who knew?
At the train station while waiting for my train back into the city, this drunk New Zealander (I'm assuming he was both drunk and from NZ because he kept saying he was from NZ) was cursing out this group of black kids who couldn't have been over 20 years old on the opposite platform for essentially being black. This was my first experience with Aussie racism. He kept calling them the n-word and that he'd "fucking kill all you cunts" and "I'll eat you cunts for breakfast, you fucks" and "go back to your country, this is my fucking property. This is my fucking country, get the fuck out of it. Show some respect you n*****'s" and "I'm going to rape all your fucking bitches", etc. The group of kids actually surprised me because instead of getting offended by what this batshit insane dude was saying, they brushed it off and kept wishing him a happy new year, and apologized for getting him so upset (over nothing), and just generally being very polite to that asshole.
Aussie Word of the Day: "Slab". A slab is a box of 24 bottles/cans of beer. Also, on things like chocolate ice cream bars, or on chocolate milk for example, instead of saying "Creamy Chocolate Milk" or "White Chocolate Ice Cream" it'll say "Creamy Choc Milk"or "White Choc Ice Cream". Short-forming everything, hahaha.
No comments:
Post a Comment